40 degrees is to warm.
- Tomatoes (don't use green-house grown, they are not sweet!)
- Tomatio's an ancient relative of tomatoes.
- Green peppers
- Green apples??
- Hot peppers and Sweet peppers
- Garlic pressed or equivalent
- Fresh cilantro (essential for taste)
- Lemon / Lime juice (too much and you can't can it)
- Salt keeps out the bad bacteria, but too much sodium in your diet can lead to heart disease! Use unrefined sea salt with a little whey to help start the fermentation. (strain yogurt to get whey.) Salt will provide additional mold protection and a crunchy texture.